Introduction to Transmission Electron Microscopy (Life Sciences)
This course will provide participants with the knowledge and skill to:
- set up and use transmission electron microscopes for imaging biological specimens
- collect accurate and meaningful digital images, and
- view different sample preparation techniques for TEM analysis.
Main topics covered
- History of Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- What is TEM?
- Basic Components
- The electron source
- The electromagnetic lenses
- The vacuum system
- Magnification and Resolution
- Image formation
- Bright vs. Dark Field Imaging
- Biological specimen preparation
- Imaging capabilities of a TEM
- Optimising the TEM for biological imaging.
Hitachi H7100FA 125kV Transmission Electron Microscope
Maximum number of students: 8